Our History

Our History
Siler Presbyterian Church was organized in Sandy Ridge Township, Union County, North Carolina, on October 29, 1895.  Rev. J. W. Siler, Pastor of Providence Church, had been holding regular preaching services under an improvised arbor for two years prior to the organization.

By the request of Rev. Siler and several families in the community, the Presbytery gave permission for the organization of a church and appointed Rev. Siler, Rev. H. M. Dixon and Rev. M. C. Arrowood as organizing ministers.  The church began with twenty nine members. Land for the church building and grounds was donated by M. E. Plyler and his wife.  A building was started near the present cemetery.  Rev. Siler remained pastor until 1897.

In 1915 the church enjoyed a period of growth and began to outgrow the building.  The decision was made to move the building to the crossroads of NC 84 and 1008 and erect a new building.  Horse power was used to move the building on logs placed one after another in front of the building.  This task took longer than expected and was not completed by the next Sunday.  That did not deter the congregation. They simply worshiped in their sanctuary where it sat along the road.  The land was donated by J. N. Price and the Belk family donated the bricks for the new building which was completed and dedicated in 1919. Within the year, the front wall of the church cracked.  It was decided to remove the bell from the tower as it was determined to be unsafe.  The bell was moved out into the yard, and only rung for important occasions.

In 1964, the first educational building was added, named in honor of Dr. Q. N. Huneycutt who served as pastor from 1932-1938 and 1951-1964 when he retired.  This building houses the current nursery.  A Fellowship Hall was completed in 1974 which is the current church office.  The manse was also completed in 1974 and a call was extended to Rev. Vernon H. Dodd who became the first full time minister and served until 1990.

The current two-story educational building was completed in 1988 which was named in honor of Rev. Dodd.  In 1992 a call was extended to Rev. Bruce M. Powell who continues to serve as our pastor.  A new Fellowship Hall, with kitchen and large classrooms, was completed in 2002.

Siler Presbyterian Church has served the community at the crossroads for over 100 years and grown in grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.  The dedicated men and women of this church have sought to be faithful servants of our Lord in work here and throughout the county.  We give thanks to them and for the heritage that is ours, by the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ.



                                                      2-story Dodd Bldg               Fellowship Hall
      Sanctuary            Huneycutt Hall               Office (in front of Dodd)
          
A short history of Wesley Chapel can be found on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1s56GIGFao